Thursday, July 15, 2010

Topic Proposal


For my topic on essay three, I would like to look into why these women of Gilead are so repressed. I feel like the real victims, in this fictional society, are the women. Although there are many things wrong with Gilead, I find this the most perplexing. Why would the men of this land want to repress their women so much? It seems to me that some of the best parts of life are creating relationships, and getting to know someone whom you might want to spend the rest of your life with as equals. Their religious beliefs seem to be the motive for this, but I think it is really the leaders of this new world trying to bring back a male dominated society. I believe Margaret Atwood was trying to remind us of the repressed women of our societies past, and some that still exists in the present.
I would like to learn more about why women have long been thought of as the lesser gender. It hasn’t been till the last century that society has accepted both genders as equals, and in some areas in the world women are as repressed as ever. For this essay I would like to research the history of women and their roles in societies of the past, and societies of the present. Maybe this research will give me some insight into why the men of Gilead feel the need to repress their women, and why women have been repressed in the past and present of our own societies. I also feel this will give me some insight to Margaret Atwood’s own beliefs and thoughts on this subject as well.
http://www2.hawaii.edu/~davink/topicproposals.html

No comments:

Post a Comment